Kid Corner – Review: The Adventures of Beekle by Dan Santat

The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
by Dan Santat

Print Length: 40 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (April 8, 2014)
Publication Date: April 8, 2014
Sold by: Hachette Book Group
Language: English

Winner of the Caldecott Medal

This magical story begins on an island far away where an imaginary friend is born. He patiently waits his turn to be chosen by a real child, but when he is overlooked time and again, he sets off on an incredible journey to the bustling city, where he finally meets his perfect match and-at long last-is given his special name: Beekle.

New York Times bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Dan Santat combines classic storytelling with breathtaking art, creating an unforgettable tale about friendship, imagination, and the courage to find one’s place in the world.

Beekle is full of color, humor, and artistic illustrations. It’s a tail featuring what an imaginary friend feels; before he’s imagined. It’s adorable and it encourages children to reach out to someone different, someone new.

As for it being for children. Young kids may miss the subtle connections; between the imaginary world and the real one. It feels more like a picture book for adults who want to reflect on their childhood rather then for children. My son, who is 6, liked it, but wasn’t fully engaged and hasn’t picked it again for me to read at bedtime.

Borrowed from my local library!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2018/02/kid-corner-review-the-adventures-of-beekle-by-dan-santat