Audio Review: First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1) by Darynda Jones (Narrator) Lorelei King

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones
First Grave on the Right

Charley Davidson #1
Darynda Jones (Narrator: Lorelei King)
Urban Fantasy - Paranormal Romance - Mystery
Macmillan Audio
February 9, 2011
Audiobook
9 hours, 4 minutes
Library

A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper Charley sees dead people. That's right, she sees dead people. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light". But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice.

Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life... and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

This is a thrilling debut novel from an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense. The audio includes a sneak peak of Second Grave on the Left.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

This was my first audio listen in years. It was nice to change up my reading and try out an audio.

For a few years now other readers have suggested and recommended reading Darynda Jones. I enjoyed this first book in the series. We are treated to three engaging plot-lines. A mystery involving ghosts, Charley trying to figure out her Reaper side, and then the mystery into who Reyes Farrow is.

First Grave on the Right is the first book in the Charley Davidson series.

Their’s lots of sarcastic humor, clichés, one-liners and stereotypes. I liked the one-liners and humor, but at a point it got to be a little too much. The ghosts are funny and I liked meeting all the different ones.

As for Charley she’s ok, but a little childish to me. I felt she whined a little too much. She also thinks she’s all that and indestructible. It’s great to have confidence in yourself, but for me it came across as childish and too much though I am curious to see how she will grow and evolve throughout the books.

Reyes Farrow, who is he? Well he pops up in Charley’s dreams and we are also treated to a few steamy moments, but they are left to the readers imagination.

And, as for the ending, it is a cliffhanger. You get some questions answered, but more pop up.

The Narrator, Lorelei King, I felt she brought the characters to life in the audiobook. Charley’s snark and attitude came out. As for the male voices they weren’t male enough and sounded a little off to me, but still I enjoyed.

I had a delightful time with the audiobook for First Grave on the Right and will be picking up the Second Grave on the Left in audio to see where things go next.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

Challenge(s): New To Me (Author/Series) | Pick Your Genre (PNR/UF) | Backlist ReaderLibrary Love (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/10/audio-review-first-grave-on-the-right-charley-davidson-1-by-darynda-jones-narrator-lorelei-king