ARC Review: Forged in Fire (The Vessel Trilogy #1) by Juliette Cross (DNF)

Forged in Fire - Juliette Cross

July 31st 2017
eBook
345
ARC Review Copy

She never knew this demon world existed. Now she just wants to survive it.

Genevieve Drake has never been the helpless kind of girl, has never needed to be rescued. That is, not until her twentieth birthday when some dude nearly chokes her to death in an alley and a hot stranger splits the guy in half, rips a monster from inside, and incinerates it into ash.

The hot guy? Jude Delacroix—Dominus Daemonum, Master of Demons. Now her guardian, whether she likes it or not.

But she’s seriously beginning to like it.

The dude choking her? One of many demons from the underworld trying to abduct or kill Genevieve. As the prime target of the demon prince, Danté, she has no problem accepting Jude’s protection.

Why Genevieve? She’s a Vessel, one born to serve the Light but can be corrupted and used as a weapon for darkness. She had no idea this world even existed. Now, she just wants to survive it.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

I really love Juliette Cross. She fast became a favorite author to read and reread. I feel in love with her writing when she came out with her Dragons aka Morgan’s (Nightwing & Vale of Stars) and then she came out with her Vampire’s (Vampire Blood) and I feel even more. So, when you pick up a favorite authors work you don’t expect to not like it or end up DNFing.

I ended up stopping at 82%. I know I only had a little more to go, but I wasn’t enjoying. I wanted to know what was going to happen and to continue onto book two, but then again I didn’t. It was not a great feeling.

Forged in Fire is dark fantasy, paranormal romance, and new adult. The story was just to dark, deep, and heavy for my liking. I did like Jude, but our heroine and lead Genevieve wasn’t winning me over.

As for the Vessel aspect I still don’t understand everything that a Vessel is and can do. Most give into either death or let a Demon Lord have them. Their has never been one to stay in the light. Their was also too much cryptic stuff and some running around in the dark. Our cryptic prophecy we and the characters don’t have the full version, so they don’t know all. I was just not getting a good picture or understanding of the world and characters.

The last thing and this one was the one that really bothered me. The author was very specific in pointing out that their are rules that both good and bad must follow. They can’t be broken. So, one such rule is free will. We all have it. Yet, their is this thing with Genevieve’s soul and The Evil Demon Lord, where he can pull it into another world and compel her do anything and everything he wants. She can’t resist. It felt wrong on so many levels. She should be able to fight; wither it’s just her soul or her soul and body together.

Unfortunately, Forged in Fire was not the book for me. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

Challenge(s): New To Me (Series) Pick Your Genre (PNR) (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/09/arc-review-forged-in-fire-the-vessel-trilogy-1-by-juliette-cross