Review: Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1) by Piper J. Drake

January 26th 2016
Paperback
384
Library

Hot military heroes, the women who love them, and the dogs that always have their backs. EXTREME HONOR is the first book in a high adrenaline contemporary suspense series from Piper J. Drake.

HONOR, LOYALTY, LOVE

David Cruz is good at two things: war and training dogs. The ex-soldier's toughest case is Atlas, a Belgian Malinois whose handler died in combat. Nobody at Hope's Crossing Kennel can break through the animal's grief. That is, until dog whisperer Evelyn Jones walks into the facility . . . and into Atlas's heart. David hates to admit that the curvy blonde's mesmerizing effect isn't limited to canines. But when Lyn's work with Atlas puts her in danger, David will do anything to protect her.

Lyn realizes that David's own battle scars make him uniquely qualified for his job as a trainer. Tough as nails yet gentle when it counts, he's gotten closer to Atlas than anyone else-and he's willing to put his hard-wired suspicion aside to let her do the same. But someone desperate enough to kill doesn't want Lyn working with Atlas. Now only teamwork, trust, and courage can save two troubled hearts and the dog who loves them both . . .

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

iBooks

Book Depository

GooglePlay

So I first tried the True Heroes series with book three, Absolute Trust and I soon learned that I needed to read this series in order, so I set down Absolute Trust and request from my library the first book Extreme Honor.

Extreme Honor is a light and easy romantic suspense read. I had an ok time reading. It was a little bland, but enjoyable enough. I did have some trouble getting into the story; because it’s slow to get going, but once you hit 60% things start to pick up.

The suspense was predictable and of course not completely resolved by the end. Some threads where left open to carry on into the next book. And, the romance did have some heat with a little tension, but I never felt that the couple connected.

My main issue with this one and where I had trouble was the dog training. Why? Well I’m a fan of D.D. Ayres K-9 Rescue series and that women knows her dog breeds and the training that goes into military dogs, police dogs, and well all the different types of work a dog can do. I didn’t feel that Piper J. Drake did much research on the different areas, that she didn’t understood dogs; let alone working dogs, and I never felt that her characters connected to the dogs they worked with. It was disappointing.

Extreme Honor was meh and enjoyable enough to read. I will say I’m intrigued to check out the next book Ultimate Courage just from the except that I read at the end of Extreme Honor.

Rated: 2.5/3 Stars

Challenge(s): Library LovePick Your Genre (Con) | Backlist Reader (2017)

I’m a 35 outdoor sun loving reader living near San Fransisco. I’m a mother, wife, dog owner, animal, and book lover. I’m the owner, reviewer, and mind behind Angel’s Guilty Pleasures. My favorite animals are horses & dogs. As for reading I love all things paranormal & urban fantasy. My favorite shifters are dragons!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/08/review-extreme-honor-true-heroes-1-by-piper-j-drake