Review: Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3) by Jim Butcher

Hardcover
348
Library

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden has faced some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago-area phone book.

But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: The spirit world has gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble - and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone - or something - is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself....

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Book Depository

Grave Peril was awkward and odd.

When I started reading I thought I had missed a book in-between, but nope I didn’t. A year has gone by between book 2, Fool Moon, and book 3, Grave Peril. During this year Harry, Murphy, Michael, and the SL team took down a Bad Guy Sorcerer who was using a Demon and other stuff to wreak havoc in Chicago. So, Harry has patched things up with Murphy and the SL team, Michael (who is Michael and where did he come from?) is more or less a friend now and helping him out, and Susan and Harry are together (OMG No).

The vague reference to the takedown is the source for the plot in this book. We are soon pulled into vampire trouble, ghost trouble, and the Nevernever.

Harry has become an immensely engaging character, between his feats as a wizard and his chivalry. I like him even though in this installment he got on my nerves a little. Their are a few different plot threads that keep you engaged. One of those threads has to do with Harry’s Faerie Godmother, who is desperate to own him… (Why?? You’ll have to read to find out. Oh My!! What will Harry do to get out of that predicament?) Then we have what’s going on with the ghosts, Harry’s love life, and the vampires.

The secondary characters really come out in this installment and a few new ones are added to the cast. Bob, was a great source of humor and I liked having him along for the ride.

Last, we can’t forget Susan, yes the report, who I dislike and think Harry could do better. Susan, is her typical self and when Harry says NO to her request she goes behind his back and ends up in deep deep trouble. What happens to her, is her fault, and her actions brought what happen to her onto herself. All I’ll say is I don’t feel sorry for her and what happened. I do feel sorry for Harry; because we all know he’s going to take what happened to her onto himself and feel like it’s his fault and he has to fix it.

Grave Peril was a good read. It not my favorite and I had a few issues, but I’ll still be continuing on to see what happens next to Harry.

Rated: 3 Stars

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (UF) | Library Love Backlist Reader (2017)

I’m a 35 outdoor sun loving reader living near San Fransisco. I’m a mother, wife, dog owner, animal, and book lover. I’m the owner, reviewer, and mind behind Angel’s Guilty Pleasures. My favorite animals are horses & dogs. As for reading I love all things paranormal & urban fantasy. My favorite shifters are dragons!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/08/review-grave-peril-the-dresden-files-3-by-jim-butcher