Tips On Writing A Book Review

What is a book review? A book review is a form of literary criticism in which a book is analyzed based on content, style, and merit (wikipedia).

Why write a book review? You might be wondering! Book review’s are important to readers and authors. They are a way to get the word out. Just like talking to your friends or family about a book you read, you are sharing YOUR opinions and thoughts to other readers just like you.

For authors, a book review is a way for them to get the word out and it’s also advertisement and publicity for their work.

For the reader, a book review is a way to help us decide what to read next. I personally like to read review’s to see if the book will be a good fit for me. The cover and blurb might look and sound great, but something in the book may not click with me. The only way I might know this is if another reader who previously read it pointed out what they liked and didn’t in a review. So, a book review will tell me if I should or shouldn’t pick it up or add it to my every growing TBR pile.

Do you need to be a blogger to review? No, you don’t have to be a blogger to review a book or share your thoughts. Just be a lover of books and share with your friends, family, book clubs, and acquaintances.

How long should a review be? As for the review, it doesn’t have to be long. It can be a sentence or two or as long as a paragraph or essay. It’s all up to YOU on how much you want to say.

Below I’m sharing a few tips on writing a good book review.

Tips on writing a book review:

Read the book. If you haven’t read it. How can you review it. You need to be reliable and to do that you need to read the book.

Take notes. Some bloggers have a review journal or a notebook. Me I use the Evernote app. I can sync it between my devices and have all my notes wherever I need them when it comes time to write my review.

Think. Digest. Mull it over. You can write the review as soon as you finish the book, but taking that extra time to to think can help bring you a new perspective.

Focus on what you like, made you happy and didn’t like, made you un-happy. Things that touched you, shocked you, or made you stop and wonder/ponder. The review is your subject point of view. DO NOT post the synopsis/blurb. No one needs that. We can read it on the book page.

Relate. Connect. Refer. If the book reminds you of an author, a type of writing style, or brings up a memory, share it. This will add to your review.

Trust yourself. Everyone is going to have different perspectives and opinions. Don’t worry. We are all different and like different things. Remember the review is all about YOU, be honest, be bold. You are the reader, so the review is yours and doesn’t need to follow a tread.

Leave it for awhile. Come back and check to see if it’s OK. I write a review and then leave it for a few hours, too a day. Then I come back and look it over again. Sometimes I change it. Other times it’s what I wanted it to be.

Share. Post. Post to retail sites, Goodreads, BookLikes, your website, or anyplace you can leave a review.

What do you think?
Do you have any suggestions or tips?
I’d love to hear from you!

Facebook Twitter Google+