Review: Bengal’s Quest (Breeds #30) by Lora Leigh

June 23rd 2015
 eBook/Paperback
 352
 Bought

New York Times bestselling author Lora Leigh tells a story of two Breeds who are united by animal desires, only to find it’s vengeance that stirs the mating heat…

He was a shadow, ever shifting and insinuating, able to blend in everywhere and anywhere. The elusive ideal conceived and created by the Genetics Council, he went by just as many names as he had identities—the last one being Gideon.

Now calling himself Graeme, he hides in plain sight, terrifyingly close to his goal. A rogue Bengal Breed, he has loyalties to no one but himself. And he has a need for vengeance that surges hot and swift through his veins.

Graeme plans to exact an extreme and ruthless vendetta against those who wronged him—Breed and human alike. All will suffer his wrath: those who created him, those who pretended to love him, and those who betrayed him.

That includes the one at the center of it all: a seductive, enigmatic woman helpless against the man whose desire is just as desperate as his need to destroy.

And he’s on her scent…

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Book Depository

Bengal’s Quest is book thirty in the Breeds series by Lora Leigh.

I will point out that this is not a standalone nor a good place to start. Their are key elements, storylines, and continuing things in play in a Bengal’s Quest. You might be able to get away with starting at Stygian’s Honor for this storyline. The opening prologue helped me recall some events, but it’s not enough for a newcomer to the series.

Cat has been in hiding and now that she is exposed, she is finally living her life. She was born human, but due to an illness she was genetically altered into a Breed to save her life. She suffered just like other Breeds and once she escaped she found herself in a position where she had to pose as Claire Martinez to hid from the Genetic Council and the Breed who swore to kill her.

Years ago, Gideon saved a little girl more then once that he called his own. During his last heroic rescue of her, he found himself hurt and she saved him with a blood transfusion, due to that he he swore to kill her. He hurt her emotionally to protect her from the Mating Heat that was starting to consuming him. Now that Cat is a women, he knows it’s time to claim her as his mate.

Confusing? Bengal’s Quest was a bit confusing and well this storyline has been a bit confusing from the start. The storyline spans at least three books maybe more. We get a vague description of transferring spirits and souls into other bodies. Which this concept has been odd and unusual from the moment it was introduced. I never fully understood what was going on with this spirit/soul storyline, until the end of Bengal’s Quest. Even at the end I was still feeling a little like I was missing something in this area. It’s not complete and I don’t know what’s going to happen or if we will get answers. This isn’t the first time the author has gone down one path and then changed her mind and never finished.

The romance between Cat and Gideon was mediocre. I never really connected to either, though I did like that Cat was strong-willed and that she put effort into reaching both Gideon the “monster” and Graeme the alpha. It just felt like the same romance was happening again.

Bengal’s Quest also offered too much and didn’t focus enough on long-standing characters. Ms. Leigh continues to expand her world, rather than focus on the characters she has. We are introduced to several potential future storylines that just got in the way and mad things more confusing. For example we have Cat’s friend, Khi (what is up their?), adding more new Breeds, and what possibly happened or will happen to Claire’s spirit. Finally, the story was riddled with repetitive dialogue and inner-monologue.

I will say it was nice to return to the Breed series after stepping away from it for a time, but I felt like it was the same, rinse wash repeat, and doesn’t have that spark that attracted me to the series to begin with. I’m sure I’ll continue on, but it’s not at the top of my list.

Rated: 3 Stars

If any of Angel’s Guilty Pleasures Reviews has been helpful please stop by to like my post on Goodreads or leave a comment to let me know what you think. I love hearing from followers!

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/01/review-bengals-quest-breeds-30-by-lora-leigh