Review: Skin of a Goddess (Goddess Ascension #1) by Victoria C. Johnson {DNF}

April 18th 2016
 eBook
 230
 Review Copy

Goddesses just want to have fun, right?
Peitho’s first job as an Immortal Representative means slumming it at the Shifter Convention, where shifters and supernaturals will be meeting to discuss concerns and build relations. She’s sure it’s going to be boring—all they have to complain about is fleas and territory.

Wait . . . is that a dragon?

Obsessive is a strong word.
Hunter thinks Peitho would make a great addition to his hoard of treasure. Dragons are famously acquisitive; how is he supposed to ignore her? Everyone always says it’s bad to fight your nature.

When shifters begin disappearing from the convention, and bodies quickly appearing, Peitho and Hunter have no choice but to investigate. Will Hunter and Peitho manage to solve the crime while still keeping their hearts intact?

MyReview03-angelsgp

DNF Skin of a Goddess at 36%

Skin of a Goddess is book one in the Goddess Ascension series by Victoria C. Johnson. It’s a paranormal romance featuring all kinds of shapeshifters, mythology, gods and goddesses.

I love dragon shifters and I love mythology, so you would think this title would be right up my ally. Also that cover. Yummy! Both the cover and blurb made this sound like a read I would enjoy, so I picked it up to try.

Unfortunately; this book didn’t capture me as I had hoped. The author writes the story in Hunter and Peitho’s POV’s. I like POV’s, but couldn’t connect to the characters, they had no depth and where not memorable to me. The author also does a lot of describing what her characters are wearing and how they look, but not much on building the world. By the time I DNF’d this title I had no idea what the book was about. I was also wondering why in the world would the gods be interested in attending a conference that the supernatural creatures of earth where having. The whole conference thing was just odd to me. I couldn’t get into the supernaturals having a conference nor could I get why they would do such human mundane actives at a conference; like horseback riding, trail hiking, etc.

Just to many odd things and no connection to the characters had me putting this book down.

What I Did Like

I liked the goddesses introduced. They are all minor goddesses and we don’t get to see them often in stories or playing main roles. I also found some of the lines humors, but not enough to pull me in.

Skin of a Goddess was not the book for me. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Victoria C. Johnson via Bewitching Book Tours with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (Paranormal) | New To You (Series/Author) (2016)

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2016/06/review-skin-of-a-goddess-goddess-ascension-1-by-victoria-c-johnson-dnf