Interview: Victoria C. Johnson {Skin of a Goddess Tour} ~ Exclusive Excerpt

Hello and Welcome!

Today, I will be interviewing Victoria C. Johnson who has stopped by to share with us her new releases Skin of a Goddess and she will also be sharing some fun tidbits about herself.

Hello Victoria, thank you for dropping by the blog today.
Some of the readers might not be familiar with you, so would you please tell us a little bit about yourself?

Thank you for having me! I am from Michigan and currently live in Southwest Michigan. I am married and have a precious 10 month old daughter with another little princess on the way. I work full time as an HR systems manager. I love to write paranormal romances with tons of magical creatures, insane situations, and happy endings. I live for books that have characters that you can’t help but fall in love with.

I see that Skin of a Goddess is your first book published. Would you share with us some of the challenges you faced in getting published?

I pursued some traditional publishing venues. I sent out query letters, went to conferences, and researched how to appeal to literary agents and publishers. At the end of the day, I found that this process really took away from my writing. I wasn’t interested in changing my book to attract one certain person. I decided to pursue self-publishing and am so glad I did! I was fortunate enough to work with a great editor and cover designer.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

For me, the hardest thing about writing is not giving up. It takes a lot of time and dedication to finish a book. My family is extremely supportive. My husband often pushes me to work on my current project, whisking away our little one so that I can really focus. Their constant support and my drive to write really help me not only start a book but finish it too.

What do you do to relax?

I relax by spending time with my family and reading. This past weekend we had a family day at the park with my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. I also enjoy going to the beach, shopping, and being wined and dined.

Favorite food? Favorite drink? Favorite TV show? and Favorite Movie?

I love queso fundito with steak! I’m obsessed. My favorite drink is orange pop. I try to only indulge in pop occasionally. I adore all of the Real Housewife franchises. I know it’s an issue because my husband can even recognize some of the characters at this point. My favorite movie is any and all of the Harry Potter movies. I don’t think the music will ever fail to give me goose bumps.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way wither growing up or as an adult?

When I was a child I read everything by Tamora Pierce. She was the first author I ever read just for fun, not out of necessity. Her books really inspired my love of reading, which opened the door to my love of writing.

Skin of a Goddess

How did you come up with the title?

Peitho, my leading female character, is the Goddess of Persuasion and Seduction. One of her primary physical characteristics is having golden skin. This really helps drive her allure. It’s also the first thing that Hunter, my leading male character, noticed about her.

What struck your inspiration for this book?

I love mythology and really wanted to bring some of those characters to life. I was really inspired by the idea of having a magical gift that sort of defines your nature or personality. I wanted to find a way to carve out characters where their magic definitely influences them but doesn’t define them. I loved the inner struggle that created for the characters. I think it added so much depth to them instead of just having intense, otherworldly power.

Please share with us a little bit about the characters in Skin of a Goddess. (who are they, what do they do, any fun special abilities, or little quarks, etc..)

Peitho and her seven closest goddess friends have been chosen to be Immortal Representatives. They were sent to earth by the Olympians to be representatives to other supernatural creatures. Peitho is the Goddess of Seduction and Persuasion. She has a natural appeal and uses it to her advantage. She has a hard time letting guys in and has no interest in possessive men or committed relationships.

Hunter is a dragon shape shifter and is a dragon prince. He’s socially awkward, clueless, and not used to playing games. He’s instantly enamored with Peitho and her golden skin. When she makes it clear that she wants nothing to do with him, it only solidifies his determination that they should be together. Hunter isn’t afraid to go after what he wants.

What was your favorite scene to write in Skin of a Goddess? Why?

I loved writing scenes from Hunter’s perspective. I really liked how funny and awkwardly endearing he was as a character.

This is a small excerpt of Hunter shortly after he met Peitho.

All right, to be fair, I’ve always had a slightly impulsive personality. A bit obsessive, even. Okay, a lot obsessive. I get fixated, I claim, I enjoy, and then move on. Being a prince, even the youngest, comes with certain advantages. I always get what I want. I’m a dragon, plus I’m an obsessive freak. Of course I get what I want when I want it.

Well, that and the family is a bit indulgent. I guess they think of me as a loner, and they do what they can to make me happy. I don’t like being around the court and all those people. I’m a terrible diplomat. Last time I was forced to go to court I trampled over the tail of some stupid dragon who was blocking my way to the buffet. I mean, really, who comes between someone and éclairs? So, the family doesn’t mind that I don’t come around too much. I like my cave, treasure, and solitude.

I just need to remind myself that people can’t be treasure. No matter how sparkly and delectable they seem, they are not possessions. Even though I do love shiny things. It’s a common dragon trait. Besides, this one shines more than the finest gold. So many colors!

The first time I saw her I knew she was special. Who couldn’t see that? She’s a fucking goddess. It doesn’t take Christopher Columbus to know I’m in totally uncharted territory as the youngest prince from a long line, and the family embarrassment. Still, she’s so shiny I can easily forget all that. I can easily tell myself I’m fucking awesome and deserve her. Nay, am owed her. She’s been long overdue, really.

If you could spend a day with one of your characters from Skin of a Goddess, who would it be and what would you guys do?

I would spend the day with Peitho. We would go shopping then out to sing karaoke. She’s the type of girl that’s the ultimate gal pal. The one that’s down for anything that you always have fun with, no matter what you’re doing.

Thank you, Victoria, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. We loved having you visit and sharing your new releases with us.

Skin of a Goddess Banner 851 x 315

Number of pages: 253
Word Count: 78,311
Cover Artist: Deranged Doctor Design

Book Description:

Goddesses just want to have fun, right?

Peitho’s first job as an Immortal Representative means slumming it at the Shifter Convention, where shifters and supernaturals will be meeting to discuss concerns and build relations. She’s sure it’s going to be boring—all they have to complain about is fleas and territory.

Wait . . . is that a dragon?

Obsessive is a strong word.

Hunter thinks Peitho would make a great addition to his hoard of treasure. Dragons are famously acquisitive; how is he supposed to ignore her? Everyone always says it’s bad to fight your nature.

When shifters begin disappearing from the convention, and bodies quickly appearing, Peitho and Hunter have no choice but to investigate. Will Hunter and Peitho manage to solve the crime while still keeping their hearts intact?

Available at Amazon

Teaser 03 1500x760

Victoria C. JohnsonVictoria C. Johnson lives in Michigan with her supportive husband and amazing family. She became serious about her passion for writing shortly after having her daughter. As someone who strongly believes in doing what makes you happy, she decided to follow her own advice. She loves writing almost as much as she loves reading. Victoria adores happy endings, heartfelt characters, and extraordinary situations. She hopes to bring a little more of that to life every day.

Website – Twitter – Facebook – Amazon Page

Book Crazy Scrapbook Mama

May 25 Spotlight
All I Want and More Books

May 26 Spotlight
Ramblings of a book nerd

May 27 Spotlight