Review: Heart of Stone (Gargoyles #1) by Christine Warren

December 31st 2013
 Paperback
 297
 Bought

From bestselling author Christine Warren comes a thrilling new series about a young woman caught between a rock and a hard place—between gargoyles and demons…

Ella Harrow is trying to carve out a normal life for herself. Well, as normal as an art geek with psychic abilities can hope for. As museum docent and gift-shop manager, Ella is able to keep her distance from people—and her powers in check—while surrounding herself with the artifacts she loves. But how on earth is she supposed to act normal when a thousand-year-old statue on the museum's terrace suddenly comes to life?

Heart of Stone

Not your ordinary gargoyle, Kees has been asleep for eons, waiting for a portent of evil to wake him from his slumber. Kees isn't a vision; he's a bat-winged guardian created to protect the world from the seven demons of the Dark. Somehow, Ella triggered his reawakening. Maybe the demons have been unleashed? Maybe his heart is finally ready to be chiseled open? The fate of the world isn't carved in stone…yet.

MyReview02-angelsgp

~ 2.5 Heart of Stone Stars ~

Heart of Stone is book one in the Gargoyles series by Christine Warren.

I was at the bookstore browsing and the blurb caught my attention, so I picked this book up on a whim. I’ve read The Others series by Christine Warren before and enjoyed the books. Unfortunately, Heart of Stone just didn’t do it for me.

The whole book was slow and dragged along. The characters where not memorable nor did they impress me. I was also hoping for some great action/battle scenes, since the author did some good build up, but they where uninspiring.

Ella Harrow our heroine, was boring. She had this kick as ability/gift, but she never developed into a strong enough women with the confidence in herself or her ability. Kees our hero came off cold, overbearing, and I never really warmed up to him. He was grumpy and dictatorial. I guess for a gargoyle made out of stone this is what happens. The romance between our hero and heroine never felt complete to me.

Heart of Stone was not the book for me. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

*Disclaimer: I purchased this book for my own consumption. I was not given any type of copy for a review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge: #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks (2016)
Challenge: Pick Your Genre (2016)

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2016/03/review-heart-of-stone-gargoyles-1-by-christine-warren