Review: Dragon Fall (Black Dragons #1) by Katie MacAlister

July 28th 2015
 352
 Won copy from Hachette Book Group via Goodreads

YOU FLIRT WITH FIRE...

For Aoife Dakar, seeing is believing-and she's seen some extraordinary things. It's too bad no one else believes that she witnessed a supernatural murder at an outdoor fair. Returning to the scene for proof, Aoife encounters a wise-cracking demon dog-and a gloriously naked man who can shift into a dragon and kiss like a god. Now thrust into a fantastical world that's both exhilarating and terrifying, Aoife is about to learn just how hot a dragon's fire burns.

WHEN YOU DATE A DRAGON

Kostya has no time for a human woman with endless questions, no matter how gorgeous or tempting she is. He must break the curse that has splintered the dragon clans before more of his kind die. But his powerful attraction to Aoife runs much deeper than the physical-and there may be more to her than even his sharp dragon eyes can see. To survive the coming battle for the fate of his race, he needs a mate of true heart and soul.

angelsgp-review1

~ 3.5 Dragon Fall Stars ~

Dragon Fall is book one in the Black Dragons series by Katie MacAlister. I was excited to return to MacAlister’s Dragons. I like the humor, arrogant dragons, and world.

I liked Dragon Fall. It is a new “mini-series” within the larger collection. I would say you don’t have to have read the previous dragon books (we get enough of an introduction into the world MacAlister has created), but I feel it would help if you read the others (you might get more enjoyment out of the novel).There are a few plot points that are obviously carry-overs from previous novels. The previous novels also give you more of an overview of how the world is set up and all the different Dragon Septs. As well as previous characters do make appearances throughout the different dragon books and some play big parts in this novel.

Even with me reading all the previous dragon books I felt I was missing something with this curse plot. It might have to do with how long in-between releases of the books (last one was in 2012). I did get caught back up, but still at times felt like I was missing something.

Kostya & Aoife where enjoyable as characters. We get to learn/understand Kostya (who has been featured in earlier books) and Aoife (yes, I have to point out the name. What is up with that name?) The chemistry and tension was believable and worked to move the story along between these two. I do enjoy the banter and humor between the characters, but some of the things said got to be annoying fast. I still enjoyed the novel and characters.

My main issue was that a large plot point was left unresolved. I felt a little bereft with the ending left open like it was. I would have liked a little more of something. I know that this is a series and it will resolve, but I felt it need more for the ending.

Overall Dragon Fall was a nice start for this series. I am looking forward to more. I do enjoy MacAlisters writing and world.

*Disclaimer: I won a complimentary copy provided from Hachette Book Group through Goodreads giveaway, with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

The Dragon Septs series includes these series:

1. Aisling Grey: Guardian (Green Dragons)
2. Silver Dragons
3. Light Dragons
4. Black Dragons

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2015/09/review-dragon-fall-black-dragons-1-by-katie-macalister