Review: In Like a Lion (The Chimera Chronicles #1) by Karin Shah

ISBN: 978-1-61935-167-7

Book Length: 328 pages

Publisher: Soul Mate Publishing

DESCRIPTION

Research scientist Dr. Anjali Mehta lost her beloved family in an earthquake. Only her work cuts through the paralyzing grief, but when she finds her new research subject, reputed mass murderer Jake Finn, maddeningly uncooperative and inexplicably sexy she’s tempted to run away. How can she burn to touch a man behind bars—a killer?

What she doesn’t know is that Jake is a chimera, a shapeshifter who can change into a lion or a dragon with all the strengths of both even in human form, who believes his ability to shape shift is nothing but a terrifying hallucination and his overpowering attraction to his new doctor proof positive he’s finally gone over the edge.

And the employer she trusts has an agenda all his own. If she can’t believe the impossible, neither she nor Jake may make it out alive.

bible-book-hd-wallpaper

~ 3 Chimera Stars ~

In Like a Lion is book one of the Chimera Chronicles by Karin Shah. As first books in a series goes this one is a decent start. I was pulled into reading this book by its cover and the blurb.

Anjali Mehta our human scientist/heroine hired to work with Jake Finn our prisoner was hard to relate too and at some points I got frustrated with her self-pity attitude. I never was able to like her.

Jake Finn our murder (our the evil villain wants us to think) is also something more. I enjoyed learning about the different parts of his nature and watching him grow into himself. I felt for him and was rooting for Jake along the way.

In Like a Lion has an interesting premise with the duel-natured chimera’s and the supernatural character’s introduced to us. I enjoyed the chimera aspect, learning about their nature, and how they need a mate or something bad will happen. Lots of characters where mentioned or introduced and this opens the book up for more in the series. As for the story it felt slow at the begging, some things did’t seam believable at times, maybe a little to easy for our leads and then the world rules were a bit confusing at points. The sex scenes where ok, not heated enough for my liking, and they felt flat and lacking emotion. Last it was to easy to pick out who the villein was and he was not villainy enough for my taste.

Overall, In Like a Lion was a good read and enjoyable. I just felt like it had the potential to be much more than what it was.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy free of charge from the author with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Source: http://angelsguiltypleasures.com/2014/10/spotlight-review-in-like-lion-chimera-chronicles-1-karin-shah